Guide to Natural Stone Tiles
October 31, 2013.
These beautiful looking tiles are made from naturally occurring substances, which means each tile has a slight variation in colour and texture, giving them a very distinctive look.
The most popular types of natural stone tiles are:
- Limestone – classical soft, warm creamy white in appearance
- Travertine – a form of limestone that comes in darker natural shades of beige, cream and soft brown
- Slate – formed from volcanic ash to produce a very durable stone in dark and earthy colours
- Marble – crystal structures produce an almost translucent appearance at the surface, for a classically luxurious look
- Granite – one of the hardest stones, extremely beautiful and available in many colours
There are various types of finishes for natural stone tiles including:
- Honed – where the surface has been filled and ground to a smooth surfACE
- Riven – where the faces of the tiles are irregular due to material being split by hand
- Polished – where a layer of gloss has been added
Natural stone tiles will need sealing to protect them from dirt and stains, to enhance their colour and to keep them looking beautiful for many years.
Natural stone tile products: